Dr. Umesh Srikantha is a highly acclaimed neurosurgeon working as a Consultant and Head of spine services at Aster CMI Hospital. His areas of special interest are Minimally Invasive Spine surgery, Endoscopic Spine surgery, complex spine surgery, Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery and Neuro-oncology.
He did his MBBS from Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli, Karnataka, followed by M.Ch training in Neurosurgery from National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, Karnataka. After working as a general neurosurgeon for a few years, he developed an active interest in the field of spine surgery and further pursued his training by doing a Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery from South Korea. Apart from attending various training programs on MIS in the early days of his career, he is also trained in stereotactic and functional neurosurgery and neuro-oncology. He has been a part of several research projects on brain tumours as well.
An ever enthusiastic professional, he has participated in various programs, attended a number of national and international conferences and has several publications to his credit. He has conducted several workshops and has trained several surgeons from across the country in Minimally invasive spine surgery.
Dr. Umesh has started his career as a junior resident in the department of Neurosurgery, NIMHANS, Bangalore, Karnataka. In 2006, he was promoted as a senior resident at NIMHANS, Bangalore. Later, in 2009, he joined as Assistant Profession in the department of Neurosurgery at M S Ramaiah Medical Teaching Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka.
1. During my Neurosurgery residency, I worked as a co-investigator in a study to assess the efficacy of a novel drug AP12009 (TGF-?2 antisense phosphorothioate oligonucleotide – Inhibitor of TGF-?2), presently known as ‘Trabedersen’ in recurrent high grade gliomas. It was called “a multi-national, multi-center, open-label, active-controlled, randomized parallel-group dose-finding study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of two doses of AP 12009 in adult patients with recurrent high-grade glioma, administered intratumorally as continuous high-flow microperfusion over a 7-day period every other week”. The study was funded by Anti-sense Pharma, Germany and was co-ordinated in India by SIRO Clinpharm Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai. There were 14 test subjects from our centre (NIMHANS, Bangalore).
2. During my Neurosurgery residency, I was associated with a multi institutional project on “A prospective study to correlate gene signatures with clinical outcome of astrocytomas and identification of potential therapeutic target(s) in glioblastoma”. The project was funded by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Government of India. In this project, I assisted in analyzing the association of certain novel glioblastoma biomarkers with the clinical progression and survival of patients with glioblastoma. This led to some of our publications on glioblastoma biomarkers in peer reviewed cancer journals such as ‘Clinical Cancer Research, Cancer Biology and therapy”.
3. During my Neurosurgery residency, I was involved in a study to evaluate the clinical, histological features and expression of immunohistochemical markers in medulloblastoma, and to correlate these features with recurrence rates. The most important predictors of recurrence were extent of resection, chemotherapy, presence of gross anaplasia, and c-erb B2 over expression which formed the composition of a clinical-histological-immunohistochemical’ model for medulloblastoma proposed in our study. This work was submitted to NIMHANS as a dissertation in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the M.Ch degree, and also has been published in British Journal of Neurosurgery.
1. Endoscopic Spine Surgery Workshop and Neurology Update, Dec 2004, Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
2. Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery Workshop (Hands-on cadaver workshop), Sep 2005, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
3. A Hands-on course on advances in spinal care (Hands-on workshops on Cervical disc arthroplasty, Percutaneous posterior cervical fixations, Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous pedicle screw fixation), Medtronic Spinal Therapy and Procedure Training Centre, Oct 2010, New Delhi, India.
4. Stereotaxy and Functional Neurosurgery workshop, Nov 15-17, 2010, Academisch Medisch Centrum, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
5. The 5th advanced course in degenerative spine surgery: Symposium and cadaver workshop on Minimally invasive lumbar surgery. Nov 2011, Seoul, South Korea.
6.Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery at Nanoori Hospital, Incheon, South Korea under Dr. Seungcheol Lee, Apr-Jun, 2012.
7. 9th International Workshop on Endoscopic Endonasal Skull Base Surgery, Apr 26-28, 2013, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
8. First Navigated 3-D ultrasound (SONOWAND) hands-on course, Nov 27-29, 2013, Bratislava, Slovakia.
1. 53rd Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2004, Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
2. Neurosurgery Update and Neuroendoscopy Workshop, Apr 2006, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
3. 55th Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2006, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
4. 56th Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2007, Agra, Agra, India
5. 57th Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2008, Pune, Maharashtra, India
6. Marseille Neurosurgery 2009- Joint Annual Meeting EANS-SFNC, Mar 2009, Marseille, France
7. MODICON-2010: First Annual meeting of Movement Disorder Surgery, Apr 2010, Bangalore, India
8. BASECON-2010: XII annual conference of the skull base surgery society of India, Oct 2010, Trivandrum, India.
9. SPINE-2011: Annual conference of the Neuro-spinal surgeons of India, Sep 2011, Bangalore, India.
10. EPICON-2011: Conference on Temporal lobe epilepsy. Current consensus in medical and surgical treatment, Nov 2011, Bangalore, India.
11. 60th Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2011, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
12. 3rd International Neurosurgery Update, Jun 2013, Mumbai, India.
13. NSICON-2013: 62nd Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2013, NCPA, Mumbai, India.
14. Neuro-urology CME-2014, 19/01/14, NIMHANS convention centre, Bengaluru, India.
1. Survival in High grade gliomas. Neurocon-2004, Indore. Dec 17-20th.
2. Tumour suppressor gene and Oncogene protein expression in adult Glioblastomas. Prognostic significance. Neurocon-2006, Madurai. Dec 14-17th.
3. Outcome of Ventriculo-Peritoneal Shunt in Grade IV Tubercular Meningitis with Hydrocephalus. Neurocon-2007, Agra. Dec 14-17th.
4. Clinical, Histological and Immunohistochemical factors governing recurrence in Medulloblastomas. Neurocon-2008, AFMC, Pune. Dec 17-20th.
5. Anterior skull base reconstruction: Is Heterologous bone a viable option? BASECON 2010, SCTIMST, Trivandrum, Oct 7-9th.
1. Recurrence in Medulloblastoma – Influence of clinical, histological and immunohistochemical factors. EANS-SFNC joint annual meeting, March 2009, Marseille, France.
2. IGFBP- 2, -3 and -5 are markers of poor prognosis in glioblastoma. EANS-SFNC joint annual meeting, March 2009, Marseille, France.
1. Spinal osteochondroma – spectrum of a rare disease BNS meeting, March 20
2. Is EVD necessary in all cases of Gr. IV TBM with hydrocephalus prior to VP shunt BNS meeting, March 2008.
3. A rare presentation of ectopic sphenoidal pituitary adenoma with Cushing’s disease BNS meeting, July 2009.
4. Multiple intracranial aneurysms with meningioma- Technical case report and review BNS meeting, July 2010.
International, Indexed – 11
1. Pandey P, Umesh S, Bhat D, Srinivas D, Abraham R, Pillai S, Balasubramaniam A, Devi I, Sampath S, Chandramouli BA. Cerebellar abscesses in children: excision or aspiration? 1: J Neurosurg Pediatrics. 2008 Jan;1(1):31-4.
2. Britto R, Umesh S, Hegde AS, Hegde S, Santosh V, Chandramouli BA, Somasundaram K. Shift in AP-2alpha localization characterizes astrocytoma progression. Cancer Biol Ther. 2007 Mar;6(3):413-8.
3. Reddy SP, Britto R, Vinnakota K, Aparna H, Sreepathi HK, Thota B, Kumari A, Shilpa BM, Vrinda M, Umesh S, Samuel C, Shetty M, Tandon A, Pandey P, Hegde S, Hegde AS, Balasubramaniam A, Chandramouli BA, Santosh V, Kondaiah P, Somasundaram K, Rao MR. Novel glioblastoma markers with diagnostic and prognostic value identified through transcriptome analysis. Clin Cancer Res. 2008 May 15;14(10):2978-87.
4. Umesh Srikantha, Indira Devi Bhagavatula, Satish Satyanarayana, Sampath Somanna, Bengaluru A Chandramouli. Spinal osteochondroma: spectrum of a rare disease. J Neurosurg Spine. 2008 Jun ;8 (6):561-566.
5. Reddy PS, Umesh S, Thota B, Tandon A, Pandey P, Hegde AS, Balasubramaniam A, Chandramouli BA, Santosh V, Rao MR, Kondaiah P, Somasundaram K. PBEF1/NAmPRTase/Visfatin: a potential malignant astrocytoma/glioblastoma serum marker with prognostic value. Cancer Biol Ther. 2008 May;7(5):663-8.
6. Umesh Srikantha, Jagadeesh V Morab, Savitr Sastry, Rojin Abraham, Anandh Balasubramaniam, Sampath Somanna, Indira Devi, Chandramouli BA, Paritosh Pandey. Outcome of Ventriculo-Peritoneal Shunt in Grade IV Tubercular Meningitis with Hydrocephalus- A retrospective analysis of 95 patients. J Neurosurg Pediatrics 4:176-183, 2009.
7. Umesh S, Tandon A, Santosh V, Anandh B, Sampath S, Chandramouli BA, Sastry KVR. Clinical and immunohistochemical prognostic factors in adult glioblastoma patients. Clin Neuropathol 28(5):362-72, 2009.
8. Umesh Srikantha, Anandh Balasubramaniam, Vani Santosh, Sampath S, Indira Devi B, Chandramouli BA. Recurrence in medulloblastoma – Influence of clinical, histological and immunohistochemical factors. British Journal of Neurosurgery 24(3):280-288, 2010.
9. Madhugiri VS, Sastri BV, Srikantha U, Banerjee AD, Somanna S, Devi BI, Chandramouli BA, Pandey P. Focal intradural brain infections in children: An analysis of management and outcome. Pediatric Neurosurgery 2011;47(2):113-24
10. Umesh Srikantha, Kiran Khanapure, Murali Mohan S, Ravi Gopal Varma. Sphenoidal ectopic ACTH-secreting Pituitary adenoma. J Pioneering Med Sci 2012;2(2) (Apr-Jun) (online).
11. Srikantha U, Khanapure K, Nirmala S, Varma RG. Occipital dermal sinus with a vermian dermoid. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2012;3:392-4
12. Lee SC, Kang JH, Srikantha U, Jang IT, Oh SH. Extraforaminal compression of L5 nerve root at the lumbo-sacral junction: Clinical analysis, Technique of decompression and Outcome. J Neurosurg Spine. Published online January 24, 2014; DOI: 10.3171/2013.12.SPINE12629
Dr. Umesh Srikantha Consultant - Neurosurgery Head of Spine Services at Aster CMI Bangalore speaks about his experiences in spine related treatments.
Dr. Umesh Srikantha our consultant of Neurosurgery and head of spine surgery. His areas of special interest are Endoscopic Spine and MISS Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery and Neuro-oncology.