She has completed her MBBS at Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore University, Bangalore, India during 1988 - 1993. She secured 4" Rank among 10 medical colleges in Karnataka in the final year of MBBS and secured distinctions throughout her study of medicine.
Her dissertation topic during the Master's degree was titled "Correlation of Optic Nerve Head Changes with Visual Field Changes in Primary Open Angle Glaucoma”. It involved obtaining stereoscopic photographs of the optic nerve head and measuring various parameters like the vertical and horizontal size of the optic cup, the width and the contour of the neuroretinal rim at various clock hours using a superimposed photographic grid in patients with established primary open-angle glaucoma. Correcting magnification formulae were applied to assess the actual size of the optic disc using Littman's formula.
1. Obtained the 32nd rank at the Board Examination for the State of Karnataka in the 10th Grade (among approximately 2,00,000 candidates)
2. Obtained the 21st rank at the Board Examination for the State of Karnataka in the 12th Grade (among approximately 50,000 candidates).
3. Obtained the 11th Rank at the Common Entrance Test held for admissions to medical nni college.
4. Awarded the National Talent Search Scholarship by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), New Delhi for the entire period of my education. The NCERT awards these scholarships based on a national talent search examination to the most talented students in the country.
5. Obtained the 4th Rank among 10 medical colleges in the state of Karnataka in the final year of MBBS.
6. Awarded Major General Bhatia Bangalore University Gold Medal for Physiology (Feb 1990).
7. Awarded Sri S L Bhatia Bangalore University Gold Medal in Ophthalmology (Feb 1994).
8. Awarded Sri Kaverappa Bangalore University Prize in Ophthalmology (Feb 1994).>
9. Awarded Sri MC Modi Bangalore University Gold Medal in Ophthalmology (Feb 1994)
10. Secured X place in the Psychiatry Quiz conducted by the Indian Psychiatry Society - June 1993.
11. Passed the International Basic Science Assessment Examination conducted by the International Council of Ophthalmology - March 1997.
12. Awarded the "Host-A-Researcher Award by the ARVO, USA in 2009.
13. Awarded the Basheer Mekhri Award for 2nd Best Paper at the Annual Karnataka Ophthalmic Society Meet in Mysore, November 2014.
She was competent in doing vitreoretinal surgeries of all difficulties. I have routinely been doing between 4-6 surgeries per week since I joined Narayana Nethralaya in 2007. These include the following:
1. Scleral buckling.
3. Parsplana vitrectomy for rhegmatogenous retinal detachments, giant retinal tears, removal of intraocular foreign body, complicated surgeries for advanced proliferative diabetic retinopathy and retinal detachments with proliferative vitreoretinopathy.
4. 23 and 25 Gauge Parsplana vitrectomies.
5. Management of posterior segment complications of cataract surgeries including dropped nucleus, suprachoroidal haemorrhage.
6. Surgery for trauma including management of scleral tears.
7. 3-D surgeries for PPV.
8. Use of intraoperative handheld OCT system.
9. Intravitreal injections.
She is proficient in outpatient procedures, including the use of all types of lasers for retinal diseases including slit-lamp laser, LIO and Pascal Laser and the latest navigated laser (NAVILAS). Her special expertise is in ophthalmic imaging including the interpretation of Spectral-Domain optical coherence tomography, fundus fluorescein angiography and hand-held OCT.
She has teaching Experience with regular undergraduate teaching as a part of the structured teaching program during my postgraduate training program.
In addition, teaching was a continuous process throughout the surgical schedules. Narayana Nethralaya is a postgraduate teaching hospital and she had trained postgraduates and fellows as an integral part of the schedule. She had trained fellows who were training in the medical and surgical retina in both outpatient clinics, outpatient procedures and surgical training.
1. Vitreoretinal surgery
2. Medical Retina
5. Ophthalmic Genetics