Dr Mahesh DM is a Consultant in Endocrinology at Aster CMI Hospital. He has completed MBBS from Bangalore Medical College, Bengaluru, Karnataka in 2003, MD in General Medicine from Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh in 2010, DM in Endocrinology from Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu in 2014 and DNB in Endocrinology from Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu in 2015.
1. Lifestyle and Diabetes and Insulin in OPD practice care for general practitioners in the CME “DIATREE" on 7th Feb 2016 at People Tree Hospitals, Bangalore.
2. Diabetes and need for prevention: Health Awareness talk in Prashanthnagar and Senior Citizens Club, Vijayanagar, Bangalore.
3. "Clinical Aspects of Genetic Diagnosis in the Young-onset Diabetes in India" as a faculty at the "Diabetes and Endocrine Summit" on 15 Mar 2015 at "The Residency", Coimbatore.
4. Diabetes and Homecare: Corporate Health Awareness talk on 19th Nov 2015 at Nielsen India Pvt. Ltd. Sree Rama Deevena Complex, 21, Ulsoor Rd, Bengaluru.
5. Diabetes: Guidelines to practical care for general practitioners on 24th Nov 2015 at The Hotel Royale Senate, Near Baptist Hospital, Bellary Road, Bangalore.
6. Good Insulin Practices: Lecture for Nursing staff in Columbia Asia Hospital, Hebbal and People Tree Hospitals, Goraguntepalya in November 2015.
1. Felix K Jebasingh, DM Mahesh, Samantha Sathyakumar, Elanthenral Sigamani, Thomas V Paul, AN UNCOMMON CAUSE FOR POLYURIA. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research [serial online] 2015 Dec[cited:2016 Feb 9] 12 0J01 - OJO2
2. Dukhabandhu Naik, DM Mahesh, H S Asha, Deepak T Abraham, Nylla Shanthly, Anuradha Chandramohan, Deepak Burad, Banumathi Ramakrishna, M J Paul, Nitin Kapoor, Thomas Paul, Ari G Chacko & Nihal Thomas. A complex case of MEN1 Endocrine Abstracts (2015) 38 P101 | DOI:10.1530/endoabs.38.P101.
3. Dukhabandhu Naik, R M Shilpa, D. M Mahesh, H S Asha, Nitin Kapoor, Thomas Paul, V Padmanabhan, Mercy Inbakumari, Flory Christina, Jansi Rani, Divya Natarajan, L Jeyaseelan & Nihal Thomas. Evaluation of hypoglycemia unawareness in individuals with type 1 diabetes mellitus using continuous glucose monitoring in a tertiary care centre. Endocrine Abstracts (2015) 38 P271 | DOI:10.1530/endoabs.38.P271.
4. Dukhabandhu Naik, Riddhi Das Gupta, H S Asha, Thomas V Paul, Nitin Kapoor, D.M Mahesh, Anish Jacob Cherian, Deepak T Abraham, Nylla Shanthly, Reji Oomen, Anuradha Chandramohan, Banumathi Ramakrishna, Rekha Pai, MJ Paul, Simon Rajaratnam & Nihal Thomas. Pheochromocytoma: experience from a single centre in South India. Endocrine Abstracts (2015) 38 P77 | DOI:10.1530/endoabs.38.P77
5. Mahesh D.M, Aaron Chapla C, Sahana Shetty, Asha Hesarghatta Shyamasunder, Lydia Mathew, Renu George, Thomas Vizhalil Paul, and Nihal Thomas (2015) THE H SYNDROME: MOLECULAR DIAGNOSIS USING NEXT GENERATION SEQUENCING. AACE Clinical Case Reports In-Press. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4158/EP15762.CR
6. Mahesh DM, Jebasingh FK, Baruah MP, Nihal Thomas. Cretinism presenting as a pseudotumour. BMJ Case Rep 2015, Published online:DOI:10.1136/bcr-2014-206124
7. Aaron Chaplai, Mahesh Doddabelavangala Mruthyunjaya1, Hesarghatta Shyamasunder Ashal, Denny Varghesel, Manika Varshney! Senthil K Vasan 1, 3, Padmanaban Venkatesan 1, Veena Nairl, Sarah Mathai?, Thomas Vizhalil Pauli and Nihal Thomas1,* Maturity onset diabetes of the young in India -a distinctive mutation pattern identified through targeted next-generation sequencing. Published online: 5 JUL 2014. DOI: 10.1111/cen.12541
8. Mahesh D M, Nehru Arun G, Seshadri MS, Thomas Nihal, Nair Aravindan, Pai Rekha, Rajaratnam Simon. RET mutations in a large Indian family with medullary thyroid carcinoma. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2014;18(4):516-520.
9. Mahesh DM, Kishore Kumar Behera, Kanakamani J, Sudipta Dhar Chowdhury, Balaji G, Thomas N. Total Pancreatic lipomatosis. Endocrine Prac. 2013.
10. Mahesh DM, Deepak T Abraham, Regi Oommen, Thomas V Paul. Recurrent Idiopathic Pancreatitis with Mediastinal Ectopic Parathyroid adenoma. Endocrine Prac. 2013.
11. Mahesh D. M., Nihal Thomas, Asha H. S., Nitin Kapoor, Renu George, M. J. Paul, Philip Joseph, Nylla Shanthly, Anuradha C. INSULINOMA in MEN-1. Indian J Endocr Metab 2012;16, Suppl S2:514-24.
12. Varghese RT, Mahesh DM, Oommen R, Prasad JH, Unnikrishnan LS, Thomas N. Emesis in diabetes mellitus. Prim Care Diabetes. 2012 Dec;6(4):337-40.
13. Kumar S, Mahesh DM, Vignesh G, Sagili H, Dhanapathi H, Hamide A. Congenital hypothyroidism presenting as menorrhagia in adulthood. J Assoc Physicians India. 2013;61(9):660-1.
14. Kamalanathan S, Mahesh DM, Muruganandham K, Basu D. Black adrenal adenoma: distinction from PPNAD. BMJ Case Rep. 2012 Jul 3;2012.
15. Balachandran K, Vignesh G, Mahesh DM, Girish P, Kamalanathan CS, Sahoo JP, Hamide A. Reassessment of elicitation of myoedema in the evaluation of overt hypothyroidism: A pilot study. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Dec;16(Suppl 2): S356-7.
16. Kamalanathan SC, Mahesh DM, Vignesh G, Halanaik D. Symptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism in Indians.Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Jul;15(3):229-30.
17. Raina S, Mahesh D.M, Rajendra G, Chauhan NS. Reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome. J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2012;3:222-4.
18. Chauhan V, Kumar RV, Mahesh DM, Kashyap R, Thakur S. Adult type 3 Gaucher disease as a manifestation of R463C/Rec Nci I mutation: first reported case in world literature. J Assoc Physicians India. 2013;61(5):346-8.
19. Sarkar M, Mahesh DM, Madabhavi I. Ftria 12 Oct;29(4):354-62.
20. Raina S, Dogra V, Mahesh DM, Raghuvanshi A, Bharti V, Kashyap R, Gupta D. Kartagener's Syndrome with the right bundle branch block and polydactyly. J assoc physicians India. 2012 Apr;60:58.
21. Chauhan V, Mahesh Dm, Panda P, Mahajan S, Thakur S. Tuberculosis Cutis Orificialis (tbco): A Rare Manifestation Of Tuberculosis. J Assoc Physicians India. 2012 Feb;60:1267.
22. Mahesh Dm, Chauhan V, Mokta J, Mokta Kk, Thakur S. Striae--an Unusual Cause. J Assoc Physicians India. 2011 Aug;59:514.
23. Chauhan V, Mahesh Dm, Panda P, Mokta J, Thakur S. Leptospirosis Presenting As Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ards) In Sub-Himalayan Region. J Assoc Physicians India. 2010 Jun;58:390-1.
24. Chauhan V, Mahesh Dm, Panda P, Mokta J, Thakur S. Profile Of Patients Of Leptospirosis In Sub-Himalayan Region Of North India. J Assoc Physicians India. 2010 Jun;58:354-6.
25. Raina S, Mahesh Dm, Kaul R, Satinder Ks, Gupta D, Sharma A, Thakur S. A New Focus Of Ishmaniasis In The Himalayas, India. J Vector Borne Dis. 2009 Dec;46(4):303.
26. Aggarwal P, Mahesh Dm, Ravi Kumar V, Himral P, Kaushal Ss, Verma Bs. Atypical Eschar Sites In Scrub Typhus In Sub-Himalayas. J Assoc Physicians India. 2009 Feb;57:154.
27. Raina S, Kaul R, Mahesh Dm, Kaushal Ss, Gupta D, Sharma J. Pleural Effusion In Acute Myeloid Leukemia.j Assoc Physicians India. 2008 Nov;56:914-5.
28. Raina S, Mahesh Dm, Mahajan J, Kaushal Ss, Gupta D, Dhiman Ds. Marchiafava-bignami Disease. J Assoc Physicians India. 2008 Aug;56:633-5.
29. Raina S, Mahesh Dm, Kaushal Ss, Gupta D, Dhiman Ds, Negi A, Sharma S. Alkaptonuria and Intramedullary Calcification. J Assoc Physicians India. 2008 Jul;56:552-5.
30. Sujeet Raina, Mahesh Dm, Viveksood, Sanjeev Asotra, Ss Kaushal, Dilip Gupta. Paget Schroetter Syndrome. Jiacm 2008; 9(3): 230-2.
31. Sujeet Raina, Mahesh Dm, Viveksood, Ss Kaushal, Dalip Gupta, Sanjeevasotra. Bifasicular Block In Graves' Hyperthyroidism.jiacm 2009; 10(1&2): 63-4
32. S Raina, J Mahajan, Mahesh, Ss Kaushal, D Gupta, Asha Negi Emphysematous Pyelonephritis. Japi 2009;57:37.
33. Raina S, Mahesh Dm, Sood V, Kaushal Ss, Gupta D. Self Injection Of Dichlorvos, An Organophosphorus Compound. Online J Health Allied Scs. 2008;7(2):9.
34. Raina S, Mahesh Dm, Sood V, Mokta Jk, Raina R, Kaushal Ss. Giant Intra-abdominal hydatid cysts with multivisceral locations. Online | Health Allied Scs. 2008;7(2):10.
35. Aaron Chapla · D.M. Mahesh · D. Varghese. S.V. Nadig. H.S. Asha · Ron Thomas Varghese • M. Inbakumari · F. Christina - S. Mathai. T.V. Paul · Nihal Thomas. Conference Paper Oct 2013. Next-Generation Sequencing Coupled with a Novel Multiplex PCR Protocol for Comprehensive Genetic Screening of Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young in India.
36. Thomas Nihal; Mahesh DM; Chapla Aaron; Paul Johan; Shwetha N; Christina Flory; Asha HS. Does TCF7L2 polymorphisms increase the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus in the South Indian population? http://www.endocrineabstracts.org/ea/0034/ea0034p270.htm Published: 2014-03-01
37. Paul Thomas; Mruthyunjaya Mahesh; Shyamasunder Asha; Naik Dukhabandu; Rajaratnam Simon; Thomas Nihal. AUDIT of patients referred for DXA scanning in a south Indian Tertiary care centre. http://www.endocrineabstracts.org/ea/0031/ea0031p31.htm Published: 2013-03-01
38. Paul Thomas; Mruthyunjaya Mahesh; Shyamasunder Asha; Naik Dukhabandu; Rajaratnam Simon; Thomas Nihal; Seshadri Mandalam. The diagnosis of osteoporosis among subjects of Southern Indian origin above 50 years of age: the impact of the Indian council of medical research vs caucasian bone mineral density reference standards. http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0031/ea0031p27.htm Published: 2013-03-01.
Awareness Campaign on Diabetes/ Patient Education Programme /Community Services:
During DM tenure:
Every year since 2012-2014, in connection with World Diabetes Day, along with our Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, I was involved in conducting
1. Quiz competitions for medical students and nursing staff.
2. Dance competitions for school students.
3. Walkathon & cyclethon to improve awareness about diabetes, its prevention and management.
Vellore is undergoing a rapid nutritional transition leading to diabetes and obesity (Diabesity). In this regard, and in tune with the slogan of World Diabetes Day 2014; "Diabetes: Protect our future. Act now to change tomorrow", we conducted a workshop focusing on improving awareness of Urban school teachers & in turn the children and their parents in Vellore through interactive education on health and nutrition-related knowledge and behavior. The objectives were to have a lasting impact on the health of children and parents. Eight schools with 3 teachers from each school (Science, English & Physical education Teachers) and 6 Principals participated. I took keen interest and conducted lectures on:
1. Education on Diabetes and Obesity
2. Burden of Non-communicable Illness in children and Adult: Indian Context
3. Plan for awareness and prevention of Diabesity in Children
Aim: To improve the awareness about diabetes in the country by training diabetes educators for implementing integrated diabetes management and to encourage individuals with diabetes to actively participate in the management of their diabetes to improve long term outcome.
I have been conducting regular classes twice every year since 2012-2015 on the following Topics:
1. Gestational Diabetes
2. Diabetic Ketoacidosis
3. Approach to educating a diabetes patient
4. Neuropathy and foot care and ulcer management in diabetes
5. Dyslipidemia and Cardiovascular complications
Aim: To improve the awareness about diabetic foot care in the country by training diabetes educators for implementing integrated diabetes foot care management to improve long term outcome.
I have been conducting regular classes every year since 2014 on the following Topics:
1. Neuropathy and comprehensive foot examination.
2. Approach to diabetic foot care and ulcer management
3. Offloading in diabetic foot ulcer
India has the most absolute number of people with diabetes in the world, and living with type 1 diabetes can be an isolated, lonesome and difficult experience. To overcome these challenges, with the able guidance and support of our department, I took initiative in establishing type 1 diabetes support group for patients at Christian Medical College (CMC) and Hospital, Vellore, India since June 2012. The support groups consisted of patients who have type 1 diabetes and similar characteristics. At each session we made a powerpoint presentation with pictorial description of various aspects of management of type 1 diabetes. Further, we along with Penpals United, USA and Ramkrishna Mission Hospital, Haridwar, conduct regular peer group support meetings on the last Sunday of each month. Since 2011, the support groups have been on-going and thriving with two major clinical outcomes i.e significant reduction in episodes of recurrent Diabetic Ketoacidosis and improvement in average HbA1c from 10.1% to 8.4%.
Diabetes is now a major health challenge of the 21st...
19 Dec 2019
Thyroid disorders are generally widespread hormonal...
25 Jun 2020