Dr. Ganeshakrishnan Iyer, a stalwart in the field of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery and with over 25 years of experience in the field, has performed more than 12,000 open heart surgeries in the last two and a half decades. He has been constantly involved in complex adult and paediatric cardiac surgeries. His areas of special interest are Mitral Valve Repair, Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Aortic Aneurysm, Aortic Valve Sparing Procedure and surgery for Atrial Fibrillation.
Dr. Iyer worked with leading multi-speciality hospitals as a chief cardiovascular surgeon prior to joining Aster CMI as lead consultant in the Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery. He has extensive experience in the teaching field and has been training graduate medical students on basic clinical surgery and patient management for both routine and emergency cases.
He completed his MBBS and MS in General Surgery from Grant Medical College and Sir JJ Group of Hospitals University, Bombay. He completed MCh – Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery from Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital University, Bombay. Subsequent to his basic training, he has undergone fellowship training in US and Canada in adult and paediatric cardiac surgery, including thoracic organ transplantation. He was also on the staff at the Karolinska University in Stockholm, Sweden for a couple of years.
Twelve Papers published in reputed medical journals and nine presentations
1. Ganeshakrishnan KT Iyer, Glen S Van Arsdell, Frank Dicke, Brian McCrindle, John Coles, William G Williams. “Are bilateral Superior Vena Cavae a risk factor for single ventricle palliation?” Annals of thoracic Surgery 2000;70: 711-6
2. Poirier NC, Van Arsdell GS, Brindle M, Thyagarajan GK, Coles JG, Black MD, Freedom RM, Williams WG. “Surgical treatment of Aortic Arch hypoplasia in infants and children with biventricular hearts”, Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 1999; 68:2293-7
3. Adnan Cobanoglu, Ganeshakrishnan K Thyagarajan, Jeri Dobbs.
4. “Surgery For Coarctation of the Aorta in infants Younger than three Months. End to End repair Versus Subclavian Flap Angioplasty; Is either Operation better?” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, 1998; 14:19-26.
5. Jaana Pihkala, Ganeshakrishnan K Thyagarajan, Lee N Benson “Aortic compliance and blood flow after endovascular stent implantation.” Circulation (suppl) Vol. 98, No 17, I-755 (abstract no 3963), October 27, 1998.
6. Ganeshakrishnan K Thyagarajan, Adnan Cobanoglu. “Temporary Stenting of the Sternum after Difficult Cardiac Operations” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 1997; 64:1504-5.
7. Ganeshakrishnan K Thyagarajan, Adnan Cobanoglu, Wendy Johnston. “FK506 induced fulminant Leukoencephalopathy after Single Lung Transplantation. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 1997; 64:1461-4.
8. Ganeshakrishnan K.T., G.Y. Ott, A. Barker, A. Cobanoglu “Sweet’s Syndrome and associated Sarcoidosis- A rare clinical case.” Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon. 1997; 45:247-248
9. Adnan Cobanoglu, Ganeshakrishnan K Thyagarajan, Jeri Dobbs. “Konno Aorto-Ventriculoplasty with Mechanical Prosthesis in Dealing with Small Aortic root- A good Surgical Option”. European Journal Of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery,1997; 12:766-770.
10. Ganeshakrishnan K.T., R.B. Pandey, J.M.S. Khandeparker, et al. “Surgical Considerations in the Management of Thoraco-Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms”. Japanese Annals of Thoracic Surgery,1994; 14:41-45.
11. K.T. Ganeshakrishnan, J.M.S. Khandeparker, V.M. Natarajan, et al. “Intra-Pericardial aneurysm of the Left Atrial Appendage: A Case Report” Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon; 1992, 40(6): 382-4
12. Thesis: Visual Internal Urethrotomy
13. Thesis: Surgical Considerations in Management of Thoraco-Abdominal Aneurysms of the Aorta
Did you know 30 minutes of daily exercise can help keep your health healthy. It's never too late to improve your heart health. BE YOUNG AT HEART.
Get to know how patients develop valvular heart disease and the treatment choices used to correct it from one of the famous Cardiothoracic Surgeons in Bangalore - Dr Ganeshakrishnan Iyer of Aster CMI Hospital in Hebbal Bangalore.