About the speciality
The department of Infectious Diseases at Aster CMI hospital deals with the diagnosis, management and prevention of a wide variety of infections. Infectious Diseases (ID) specialists have expertise in infections that involve various organ systems: the sinuses, brain, heart, lung, genito-urinary tract, skin, soft tissues, bone and joints.
Although common infections may be managed by internists, inputs from ID specialists may be sought for the following:
- A difficult-to-diagnose infection
- Management of complex infections caused by bacteria, fungi, viruses or parasites
- Travel advice to those who are visiting a foreign location where infection risk is higher
- Patients with HIV/ AIDS
ID specialists are also involved in infection control, antibiotic stewardship, surveillance and management of healthcare-associated infections.
The specialty offers both outpatient and inpatient clinical services, which include:
- Skin and Soft tissue infections
- Bone and joint infections
- Fever of unknown origin
- Difficult-to-treat infections caused by bacteria, virus, fungi or parasites
- HIV/ AIDS
- Central nervous system infections
- Infections involving an immune-suppressed host - Post transplant infections [Liver/ kidney/ heart/ lung] and post chemotherapy-related infections
- Tuberculosis involving any organ system
- Invasive fungal infections like mucormycosis/ aspergillosis/ candida spp
- Surveillance and management of healthcare-associated infections
- Diagnosis and management of ICU related infections
- Travel-related infections - their treatment and prevention
- Adult Immunisation
- Outbreak investigation in the hospital and community
In all of the above infections, the ID specialist in conjunction with other branches, may help determine the cause of infection through appropriate diagnostics, thereby outlining the best treatment plan for the patient.