An endocrinologist is a highly qualified specialist doctor who is trained in the diagnosis and treatment of all types of diabetes and hormone-related health problems.
2. Who is a diabetologist?
A diabetologist is a specialist doctor who is trained in the diagnosis and treatment of diabetes and this usually is an endocrinologist. A doctor may also be individually trained in diabetology.
3. Who is the best person to manage diabetes?
An endocrinologist is the best person to diagnose and treat diabetes.
4. Who is the best person to treat thyroid-related health problems?
An endocrinologist is the best person to treat thyroid-related health problems. These problems could be either overactive (Hyperthyroidism) or underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism ), thyroid nodules, enlarged thyroid gland (goitre ), thyroiditis and thyroid cancer.
5. Who is the best person to diagnose and treat osteoporosis?
An endocrinologist is the best person to diagnose and treat osteoporosis (brittle bone disease ).
6. Why is it important to see an endocrinologist for thyroid-related health problems?
Because an endocrinologist is a person who would have had dedicated training in diagnosing and managing all types of thyroid disease.
7. What are the other hormone disorders that an endocrinologist can diagnose and treat?
An endocrinologist can diagnose and treat various hormone-related disorders including those of thyroid, adrenal, pituitary, ovaries, testes and calcium disorders.
8. What is hypopituitarism?
Hypopituitarism is a condition where there is a deficiency of one or more of the hormones produced by the pituitary gland.
9. What is hypogonadism?
Hypogonadism is a condition where the sex hormones of the body are not produced in sufficient quantities. In boys and men, this would be due to testosterone deficiency and in girls and women, this would be due to estrogen deficiency.
10. Is treatment available for thyroid cancer?
Yes, treatment is available for thyroid cancer in the form of thyroid surgery and radioactive iodine.
11. Can hypothyroidism cause weight gain?
Yes, hypothyroidism is indeed one of the common endocrine causes of weight gain.
12. Can thyroid problems affect fertility in women?
Yes, thyroid problems both overactive and underactive can certainly affect fertility in women. It is important to see an endocrinologist and get treated for these conditions to improve the chances of fertility in women.
13. What is bariatric medicine?
This is a branch of medicine which deals with helping people lose excess weight.
14. Is bariatric surgery (weight reduction) safe?
Bariatric surgery is safe when done by experienced bariatric surgeons. This surgery is one of the most efficient ways of treating obesity.
15. Are there alternatives to surgery for the treatment of obesity?
Yes, there are alternatives to surgery for the treatment of obesity in the form of a healthy diet, regular exercise and medications which may help you lose weight. There is also a medication that is available in the form of an injection which can help people lose weight.
16. Can young people develop osteoporosis?
Young people can certainly develop osteoporosis if they have conditions like hormonal disorders, malnutrition, vitamin D and calcium deficiency and in people taking steroids for a long time.
17. Who is a sports diabetologist?
Sports diabetologist is a person who is well-trained in diagnosing and managing diabetes in people taking part in recreational or competitive sports activities.
18. Who do I need to see if I have gestational diabetes?
You need to see an endocrinologist if you have gestational diabetes.
19. Who do I need to see if I have diabetes and planning a pregnancy?
You need to see an endocrinologist who could help you control your diabetes well and plan for pregnancy.
20. Who do I need to see if I am gaining weight or losing weight?
You need to see an endocrinologist if you are either gaining weight or losing weight as this could be due to hormonal disorder.
21. Which clinic do I need to attend if I need help with losing weight?
You need to attend the weight management clinic if you need help with losing weight.