Dr Sagar Bhattad is the first DM super-specialist in the field of Pediatric Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology in India. He received his training under the mentorship of Prof. Surjit Singh at the prestigious Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh. He has been awarded a Silver medal for MD Pediatrics and Major Gen Amir Chand Gold medal for his research on complement deficiency in Pediatric lupus. He is regarded as the Best Pediatric Immunologist in Bangalore for his expertise in the field.
He has vast experience in the diagnosis and treatment of Primary Immune Deficiency disorders. He is well known amongst the medical fraternity for his passion for Immune deficiencies and has delivered numerous lectures and presentations in various forums. Having received extensive training in Clinical and Laboratory Immunology at PGI, Chandigarh, he has been instrumental in setting up the center of excellence in Immunology at Aster CMI hospital. Foundation for Primary Immune Deficiency (FPID), an international organization based in the US has recognized the “Pediatric Immunology and Bone marrow transplant” department at Aster CMI as the Centre of Excellence for the diagnosis and management of Primary Immune Deficiencies. This is a unique affiliation conferred to a handful of centers across India. The Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Unit at Aster CMI has performed one of the largest numbers of transplants in Immune deficiencies in the country and Dr Sagar envisages building the largest Immunology Centre in South India providing low-cost diagnostic and transplant services to every child with Immune deficiency.
Dr Sagar Bhattad’s interest in the field of Pediatric Rheumatology led him to Gaslini Institute at Genoa, Italy. This is the largest referral center for Pediatric Rheumatology in Europe. As an observer, he had the opportunity to learn about several novel rheumatologic diseases including auto-inflammatory diseases. This center in Italy has the largest collection of auto-inflammatory diseases in the world. He has a special interest in the diagnosis and management of Kawasaki disease and has a large cohort of children with Kawasaki disease under follow-up.
He has written more than twenty-five articles for such peer-reviewed journals as International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases, Journal of Clinical Immunology, Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, Rheumatology International, Indian Journal of Paediatrics, Indian Paediatrics, etc to name a few. He is also a reviewer for the International Journal of Rheumatic diseases and European Journal of Rheumatology. In addition, he has made several presentations at professional conferences and symposia at the national and international levels.
Primary Immune Deficiency disorders
Rheumatologic diseases in children and adolescents
1. Singh S, Bhattad S, Danda D. Genetics of juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Int J Rheum Dis 2014 Mar;17(3):233-6.
2. Saini AG, Sankhyan N, Bhattad S, Vyas S, Saikia B, Singhi P. CNS vasculitis and stroke in neonatal lupus erythematosus: a case report and review of the literature. Eur J Paediatr Neurol 2014 May;18(3):444-8
3. Singh S, Bhattad S. Advances in pediatric rheumatology April 2013–March 2014. Int J Rheum Dis 2014 Jun; 17(5): 593-4
4. Bhattad S, Rawat A, Suri D, Gupta A, Saikia B, Minz RW, Sodhi KS, Singh S. Budd-Chiari syndrome in a child with leukocyte adhesion deficiency - a rare association". Pediatr Blood and Cancer 2015;62(12):2244
5. Singh S, Bhattad S. Recent advances in pediatric rheumatology. Int J Rheum Dis 2015 Jun;18(5):568-9
6. Sharma P, Arthi N, Bhattad S, Vaiphei K. Cystic fibrosis in a retro-positive child. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2015 Apr-Jun;58(2):204-10
7. Bhattad S, Gupta A, Suri D, Sharma D, Sinha A, Singh S. Piriformis syndrome in a young child – an unusual clinical entity. Indian J Pediatr 2015 Aug 21 [Epub ahead of print]
8. Singh S, Bhattad S, Gupta A, Suri D, Rawat A, Rohit M. Mortality in children with Kawasaki disease: 20 years of experience from a tertiary care centre in North India. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2015 Nov 17 [Epub ahead of print]
9. Singh S, Bhattad S, Sharma D, Philip S. Recent Advances in Kawasaki Disease - Proceedings of the 3rd Kawasaki Disease Summit, Chandigarh, 2014. Indian J Pediatr.2015 Aug 30. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Bhattad S, Rawat A, Gupta A, Suri D, Garg R, de Boer M, Kuijpers TW, Singh S. Early Complement Component Deficiency in a Single-Centre Cohort of Pediatric Onset Lupus. J Clin Immunol. 2015 Nov;35(8):777-85
11. Sharma A, Gupta A, Mitra S, Nada R, Bhattad S, Singh S. Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis with Amyloidosis: An uncommon complication with a favorable outcome. Indian J Pediatr 2015 Oct 7. [Epub ahead of print]
12. Rawat A, Bhattad S, Singh S. Chronic Granulomatous Disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2016 Feb 11. [Epub ahead of print]
13. Bhattad S, Vignesh P, Rawat A, Suri D, Gupta A, Vyas S, Singh S. Spondylodiscitis in a Boy with X-linked Agammaglobulinemia: an Unusual Occurrence. J Clin Immunol. 2016 Mar 10. [Epub ahead of print]
14. Singh S, Agarwal S, Bhattad S, Gupta A, Suri D, Rawat A, Singhal M, Rohit M. Kawasaki disease in infants below 6 months: a clinical conundrum? Int J Rheum Dis. 2016 Mar 16. [Epub ahead of print]
15. Vignesh P, Bhattad S, Singhal M, Singh S. A 5-year-old boy with only fever and giant coronary aneurysms: the enigma of Kawasaki disease? Rheumatol Int. 2016 May 6. [Epub ahead of print]
16. Vignesh P, Bhattad S, Shandilya JK, Vyas S, Garg R, Rawat A. Vertebral Osteomyelitis and Acinetobacter spp. Paravertebral Soft Tissue Infection in a 4-Year-Old Boy with X-Linked Chronic Granulomatous Disease. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2016 May 12. [Epub ahead of print]
17. Sharma A, Bhattad S, Kumar P. Prevalence of hypertension & prehypertension among school children. Indian J Med Res. 2016 Mar;143(3):376
18. Suri D, Sharma A, Bhattad S, Rawat A, Arora S, Minz RW, Singh S. Arthritis in childhood human immunodeficiency virus infection predominantly associated with human leukocyte antigen B27. Int J Rheum Dis. 2016 Jul 26. [Epub ahead of print]
19. Singh S, Bhattad S. Kawasaki disease incidence at Chandigarh, North India, during 2009-2014. Rheumatol Int. 2016 Aug 4. [Epub ahead of print]
20. Suri D, Bhattad S, Gupta A, Trehan A, Bansal D, Rajwanshi A, Das A, Rawat A, Singh S. Malignancies in Children with Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection - Our Experience at Chandigarh, North India. J Trop Pediatr. 2016 Oct 22. pii: fmw074. [Epub ahead of print],
21. Nada R, Matthews JL, Bhattad S, Gupta A, Singh S. Necrotizing Polyarteritis Nodosa-like Vasculitis in a Child with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Indian Pediatr. 2017;54(2):139-144
22. Suri D, Bhattad S, Sharma A, Gupta A, Rawat A, Sehgal S, Singh S, Gupta S. Serial serum immunoglobulin (IgG) trough levels in patients with X-linked Agammaglobulinemia on replacement therapy with intravenous immunoglobulin: its Correlation with Infections in Indian Children. J Clin Immunol. 2017 Mar 21 [Epub ahead of print]
23. Vijayvergiya R, Bhattad S, Varma S, Singhal M, Gordon J, Singh S. Presentation of missed childhood Kawasaki disease in adults: Experience from a tertiary care center in north India. Int J Rheum Dis. 2017 Apr 5 [Epub ahead of print]
24. H Vinayak, Sujith Kumar T, GV Basavaraj, Bhattad S. Bilateral extensive CMV retinitis in a sick child – a harbinger of severe combined immunodeficiency. JPCC 2017 [Epub ahead of print].
25. Chari PS, Chandra P, Prasad S, Bhattad S. Chronic granulomatous disease presenting with small bone osteomyelitis in a young child: A case report. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2018 Oct-Dec;61(4):557-560
26. Rikhi R, Bhattad S, Jindal A, Saikia B, Garg R, Rawat A, Suri D, Singh S. Monoclonal Gammopathy of Unclear Significance in a Child with Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome: a Rare Occurrence. J Clin Immunol. 2019 Jan;39(1):7-10